Thursday 25 July 2013

The Art Of Getting By. A tongue-firmly-in-cheeky project.

Probably the best place to start would be with the project that spawned the blog...

Since stepping onto the first professional rung and feeling the pain of daily 6.30am alarm clocks that the university lecturers definitely didn't warn about, my personal creative development has been sandwiched in amongst the important tasks of trying not to develop sedentary-occupation glutes, trying not to look like a social introvert, and trying not to screw up with my retailer portfolio responsibilities.

Having slowly engineered a clutter of personal projects to be proud of to set me off towards the next rung, it was important to finally showcase these. In order to promote both the technical skill-set I have developed in my time as a professional, managing the artworking process through to manufacturing for hundreds of clients both small and large, and the creative approach I have nurtured in my design work since I first set my heart on this path at the age of nine after receiving possibly the world's most violent looking Super Soaker off my cool advertising uncle, I decided the best way to do this was to challenge my copywriting skills to combine the two, and hopefully show off my personality in the process.

The result...

A book describing the essential tools for every Artworker to make their lives that little bit easier when faced with troublesome files...but obviously the tools described don't exist, otherwise where's the fun. The book was created using a minimalist approach to avoid drawing away from the tongue-in-cheek content, with the print layout marks on display throughout enforcing the "seriousness" of the book as an Artworker's essential. Just to get the right point across, I threw a few of my favourite personal projects in there too.

To further emphasise the project's focus, the book's title, The Art Of Getting By, offers a witty play on all three core elements involved; the profession, design, and copywriting.

The projects I wanted to showcase were the result of a full-time corporate design role forcing me to evaluate the sort of design that makes me tick, so the promotional product needed to shout this...which I believe I accomplished...playfully.








No comments:

Post a Comment